Proteins one of the important ingredient of health which not only helps body to maintain lean muscles but also repairs the broken body tissue. About 20% of human body is made up of proteins only. As the body doesn’t stores protein it’s important to get enough from diet.
This is an age old debate and goes without any merit that which protein is best among animal and plant protein for human body. And before stretching out any conclusion its important to know about them.
What is plant and animal protein?
Amino acids are essential component for body. Proteins break down to amino acid and woks as building blocks for muscle building. Amino acid covers both essential and non-essential variety. Body manufacture amino acid which are non-essential type and it cannot produce essential amino acids which need to be obtain through diet. Plants and animals have those which are essential.
Proteins and amino acids are used for almost every metabolic process in the body. Animal proteins tend to have good balance of all the 20 amino
acid while the plant profile is bit weak. It has the low % of methionine, lycine, isoleucine and tryptophan.
Source of animal proteins:
All non-vegetarian sources have a complete profile of essential amino acids like:
- Dairy products
Foods with animal proteins tend to high in several nutrient values that are lacking in plant proteins.
- Vitamin B12: The foods such as fish, meat, poultry and dairy products are rich source of
- Vitamin B12. And generally those who avoid such foods are deficient of it.
- Vitamin D: Oily fish, eggs and dairy are source of vitamin D some plants also contain vitamin D.
- DHA : (Docosahexaenoic acid) it is an essential omega-3 fat found in fatty fish. It’s important for brain functioning and hard to get it from plant source.
- Heme –iron: Its predominantly found in red meat and better absorbed by body then non-heme iron obtained from the plant foods.
- Zinc: Meat, pork, lamb are the good source of zinc important for body. Zinc from animal source get absorbed easily by the body.
Source of plant protein
Plant proteins also has infinite source contrary to what mentioned above. This has a merit of being easily digested compared to the extra workout body needs to digest animal based protein. Animal protein source often needs cooking whereas the plant based proteins can be eaten raw without adding extra fat and calories to it.
- Pumpkin seeds
- Almonds and peanuts
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
Merit of plant protein :
Though it is bit weak in profile of essential amino acid but its added benefits make people choosing them oven animal verity.
- Helps reduce obesity: It comes with less minimal fat.
- Helps in weight loss: Its loaded with the protein that keep the hunger away and less food means quick weight loss. Foods like chickpeas, beans, kidney beans, spinach helps for it.
- Lower heart disease risk: It lowers blood pressure and cholesterol and hence results in reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- Reduce type 2 diabetes : From the various research nuts, beans and legumes found to improve blood sugar level and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
From all point of views it seems to be clear that both verities have different and varied benefits. And it’s senseful if one includes some partition from each variety to their diet for healthy life. When our modern lifestyle hits the drawback of less exercise plant proteins work best and for those who seek body build up animal proteins works the best by providing chiseled body.